Yesterday was Elle-girl's check up.
She passed with flying colors, to say the least.
She must have known this was a 'big girl' appointment. For when we arrived at the Dr.'s office I had to fill out new paper work, and sense there were no other children in the play area, I let her down to go play. This is a big deal enough to her because there isn't a "Well-child"/"Sick Child" area, the spread of germs to a healthy child is highly likely in the play area. So we usually read a book or bring our own toy to the Dr. visits.
We were called back immediately. The nurse came to the door and called out Elle-girl's name and with out missing a beat, she stopped what she playing with and went back with the nurse! I was beaming with pride, but of course tried to play it off like she always comes when her name is called! The nurse told her they were going to weigh her and to step up on the scale.
The days of the baby scale are behind us now.
Would you believe this toddler put one wobbly foot up and then the other on the scale by herself! Stood still and watched the weights move back and forth.
She had gained one pound since our last visit a little over a month ago.
It wasn't so pleasant getting Miss Independent to understand why she then had to lay down to be measured. But she had grown another inch when all was said and done.
Next we had the long wait ahead of us in the little examining room before our pediatrician came in.
While Elle-girl explored her surroundings I filled out the paper work for her lead test.
Soon the room began to get very small and Elle-girl decided to start exploring it by crawling around.
"EWWWW!! Let's not crawl on the floor its dirty!"
So she stands up and walks around a bit before getting back down and crawling again.
"Elle-girl! That's icky! Please stand up!"
So she smiles and keeps on crawling around.
There's a knock on the door, its our Dr.
The rest of the visit Elle-girl proceeds to crawl on the floor.
"Is she walking yet, mom?" she asks
"Yes, she's almost running!" I replied
"Really?" she says as she looks down at my child crawling across the icky floor!
*sigh*
The rest of the appt. seemed to follow suit.
As the Dr. would ask me the question, Elle-girl would answer.
"Can she wave?" Elle- girl would wave
" Is she saying ba-ba, da-da?"
"DA!" "Da-da?" Elle girl replied
Then I talked with her about how she isn't saying Mama yet. "And how when I ask her what a cow says"...Elle-girl interrupted with a "Mmmmmm"
She says that...I said.
Perfectly normal she assured me.
Elle-girl was due for a Varicella vaccine. That's for chicken pox. So we talked about that. I asked why she needed it. And why she needed it so early. Was it a major threat to her? I explained I wasn't against it, just wanted to know more about it. She explained it like this. They give the vaccine to keep your child from catching chicken pox and having scaring.
"But is there a high risk factor for her right now?
No.
" So its mainly cosmetic, at this point?
Yes, but...
" I'd rather wait to give it her then."
That's fine.
So that's pretty much how the appointment went. Elle-girl is average for height and weight, above average verbally, and is meeting all fine motor and gross motor skills!
6 months ago


2 comments:
We had our first "step on the scale" weigh in for Jonathan at his 15 month appointment. I almost cried that he was a big boy! They also had a little gown for him--I guess past age one you aren't required to sit around naked in your diaper anymore! Did Elle-girl get a gown?
YAY DOCTOR!!! I'm so glad that she/he let you wait! You can also demand shots w/o Thirmersol or whatever that mercury crap is!! :] GO EL!!!
Post a Comment