August 22, 2008

The Naughty chair



naughty

Main Entry: naugh·ty Pronunciation: \ˈnȯ-tē, ˈnä-\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): naugh·ti·er; naugh·ti·est
Etymology: Middle English noughti, from nought Date: 14th century
1 aarchaic : vicious in moral character: Check
b: guilty of disobedience or misbehavior Check,check
2: lacking in taste or propriety Perhaps, sometimes, Check,check, check.

Being a former Preschool teacher I understood that sooner or later I would have to institute a "Time-Out" area for my toddler. However, I didn't realize it would be sooner, rather than later.
As I saw the approaching need I began to scout out local antique stores and Malls, yard sales, garage sales, and Ma and Pa, Grandma, and Grandpa's attics, looking for just the right stool. Requirements were as follows:


  • Sturdy : It had to be sturdy enough for a temper tantrum, heavy enough for back arching, and stable enough for head slinging.

  • Short : It had to be short enough so she wouldn't hurt herself should any or all of the above happen, causing her to fall from the chair.

  • Attractive: It had to be attractive enough to remain a constant prescence in the main room of my house, but not so cute that she would want to play on it, and make it her own.

  • (Last but certainly not least)Reliable: It had to be reliable and well made so that it may last over a period of years. In other words it needed to be made before 1965.

So imagine my joy when I found all of the above at an Antique mall in Adams, Tn! A small red,sturdy child's bench. Then imgaine my bit of passing guilt felt that I had just found joy in something that would bring displeasure to my sweet toddler that was at the time sitting quietly on the floor of this old school house rolling a toy car back and forth in front of her.

Reminding myself that this sweet, timid child with clean shiny hair, chubby little thighs, and a small dimple that she borrowed from my left cheek, is capable of such things that will remain untyped,for protection of her developing reputation. Most of all she needs to learn the consequence in a safe way of not running up and touching the stove repeativley,which seems to be the source of most of her behavior issues, while I try to cook yet another 'Skillet Sensation' for my family each night. .

At 4:30 pm Janurary 21st, 2007 we found out the person growing inside of me was a little girl.

At 4:32pm Janurary 21st, 2007 I had a vision this day would come.

Elle-girl has a strong will, supported by an independant streak. Being that she is Female I want her to be able to develop her voice and her opinnions. I want her to build the type of charachter she would need to perhaps stand up someday to sexual predator, or abuser, or even the more than likely mean girl in her playgroup. But at the same time I'm still holding on to the Old Fashioned ideals instilled in me, my mother, and grandmother before me, that polietness and manners rule the day, and hard work and ethics that are so finely ingrained in my husband by his parents and grandparents before him, will prove to work in her favor down the line.

So how did I introduce this newest addition to our home? I waited for the right time of day, Super time, I brought out my little red chair, and one of Elle-girl's books about emotions. I as always read through the book stopping and pointing to each emotion expressed by the children in her book. When I came to

"N is for Naughty, when I don't do what I'm told"

I pointed to the picture and said "Oh no, he is being naughty" Then to the chair "This is the naughty chair, you will sit here when you don't do what you're told."

A serious look came over her face, her voice lowered and she said "Ohhhhh.....stop" came from her lips as she held up her little hand to sign 'Stop' toward the chair.

"Yes, that's right. That's where you go when you need to 'Stop'."

She got it. Age 13mths. understands right from wrong....Check.

30min. later she got to test out her new chair. She sat there, surprisingly, but, she hated it!
One minute later she was able to get up and since then walks a few feet distance from the chair, holding her little hand up to sign 'Stop'. And you know what we havn't had to use the chair since Tuesday night!

Adams Antique Mall, Adams,Tn home of the best time out chairs south of the Mason Dixon line!




http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Adams.Antique.Mall.615-696-1222ww.merchantcircle.com/business/Adams.Antique.Mall.615-696-1222


3 comments:

Skip said...

Awhhh.

Haniya said...

Beth, you wrote that so well. And you have an amazingly smart little girl! So glad you found the perfect naughty chair.

And... the picture of your special porch that you created the other day... it is so well done I can hardly believe it isn't in a magazine!

Love, Wardeh

Me said...

Thank you Wardeh.

I love my little front porch Nook!~*