Carter Bryant designed the BRATZ dolls back in 2001 while working under Mattel Inc. the maker of Barbie. Mattel Inc. now claims that he is within copyright infringement. They are demanding that all BRATZ dolls be pulled off the shelf until at least the next court hearing in Feb. The dolls will stay on the shelf until after the holidays. There are two possible options. Either Mattel Inc. wins and all BRATZ dolls are pulled off the shelves indefinitely, or they reach an agreement where Mattel owns the rights to the BRATZ dolls since there is still money to be made there.
According to Yahoo News BRATZ dolls consume 24 feet at Toys "R" Us, 11 feet at Target and 12 to 16 feet at Wal-Mart. That would free up lots of shelf space for the Fashion Doll isle.
Personally, I was excited to hear this ruling. We typically keep the t.v muted during commercials and only watch children's programing that is not interrupted by commercials. However, sometimes after a Yo Gabba Gabba episode I may be in the kitchen, or involved with laundry etc, and there is a BRATZ doll commercial that plays frequently. Something about these dolls are very appealing to young girls. Their commercials have bright lights and a theme song "BRATZ girls really rock!" How cool is that right? I try to quickly find the remote to change the channel. I know that I will not be able to keep her "under a rock" forever, and I don't want to. However, I do want her to be a " little girl" as long as possible. So what's the difference between Barbie and Bratz dolls that both wear makeup and high heels? A bare Midriff, and attitude. Why encourage your child to be a Brat? I have seen some mothers who think that's cute, to them I say I hope you still find it cute when they are 16. Just saying!
For the record, I'm not a Barbie fan either. But since Elle-Girl seems to be inclined toward playing dress up, wearing jewelery, and bright colors, I fear its only a matter of time. So if she must emulate a fashion doll, I would prefer it to be a well dressed one.
Until then, anyone have any ideas on a Modest Millie Fashion doll line?
6 months ago


1 comment:
Real quick, Kyleigh's bed is actually the top bunk of a bunk bed set...that way it has rails like a toddler bed since she's a "big girl", but then Chris can take those off the sides and she'll have a regular twin when she's a "biggest girl"! Yaay! Besides that it was a great gift someone gave her, it's extra cool that it's multifunctional and long-lasting! And ok, about your blog entry---ALL PEOPLE AND DOLLS SHOULD WEAR CLOTHES! I'm soooo with you on this! I'm not a big Barbie fan, but if I had to choose between the two, well, Bratz wouldn't actually make the list at #2. It's # NEVER! But it's not just dolls...it's actual clothes that are out there for women and girls. Like the denim shorts that are smaller than some underwear? What the heck? I used to love summer, but those "clothes" (or as I call 'em, "scraps of cloth") just ruin it. At least in Winter people are slightly more modest (except those chicks with the fuzzy sweater on that should cover them, but then nope, it's gotta have the plunging v-neck down to the navel. *sigh* Ok, that was my rant...back to the dolls... I hope the Bratz are pulled from the shelf. I don't care if it's for copyright issues or simply because they're hideous, they just need to go!
Post a Comment