March 21, 2009

Sisters



I think I have needed a couple of days to let the idea of two little girls really sink in. Being that my sister is nine years older than me I never really had "sibling close in age" experience.
We specifically planned it all this way so that Elle would have a sibling close in age to play with, to fight with, to learn life lessons with etc. However, I had gotten the idea in my head that it would be a boy, and she would remain our little princess and wouldn't have to share all of her girly treasures because her brother wouldn't care about them. They would cross paths in other areas of life, but for the most part would get along better than if she had a sibling of the same sex. Yes I know it was a delusional dream, and totally contradicts the above reasoning of a having a sibling close in age.
It wasn't so much that I didn't want another girl, it was more that I was looking forward to something different with a boy. I had vision of a stout little version of my handsome husband, and visions of tiny faded Levi's all dirty from out digging in the dirt with dad. I also thought it honorable to be able to carry on my husband's family namesake by having a son to add to another branch on the Britton Family tree.
*There had not been a first born girl in the Britton family line in over two hundred years until Elle-Girl was born.
But I must say I'm not disappointed that the new baby is a girl. That's like those parents that are disappointed in who their child grows up to be. That child is who God planned her to be. And that doesn't stop with her gender. She is being creatively designed to the person that she will be as well.
I have began to imagine super serious tea parties and dress up fashion shows between these two girls. I can imagine there will be secrets and whispers and pacts being made against Mommy and Daddy. I can almost hear the giggles and laughter in the middle of the night when they should be sleeping, as well as the drama and yelling and cat fights that I am not being naive to.
One particular fight I remember well with my own sister had to do with the flinging of our Mother's high heel shoes across the room at each other. We weren't intentionally trying to hit each other's face...I don't think. Then there were the pranks and stunts played by my older sister on this very easily aggravated little sister. To protect the guilty I won't post them here, but she knows what she did! ;)
So there is a lot to look forward to in the coming years from these two, and as for something different, I know it will be.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

What you know to be true is that for right now you're meant to be the mama of two precious young ladies...and who knows, perhaps a boy is still in the cards for you somewhere down the line! I think it's so great, whether boy or girl, that Elle-girl is acquiring a sibling! I'm certain she'll be a tremendous Big Sister with lots to teach Lil' Bit in a few months!

Anonymous said...

The new little girl might be a "tom-boy"!! So be careful!! hahaha
My Lydia is ALL GIRL!!!
Destiny - she wrestles in the dirt with the animals, gets hot, sweaty, and definitely smelly!!

This new precious darling is blessed indeed!!! Yay!!

Me said...

Yes.I am still holding out for my "tom-boy" I was quite the outdoorsy girl growing up, never playing with Barbies, or too into pink and lace.
I am trying to expand my horizons because I know 'Elle' really enjoys the fancy thing in life.
I am seriously considering trying out a pedicure in the near future.