October 5, 2009

My Woman Card

You've heard of the "Woman Card" right? Its the tiny pink card that we unknowning carry around at all times that claims us as Mothers, wives, females, Sisters, Daughters, Cooks, Cleaners, Doctors, Menders, keepers of things, mender of toys, as well as allows us to go shopping for as long as we dang well please! Its our excuse for PMS twice a month if we feel like it, and provides us with headaches at times we'd rather be "not present".
"Oh, that card!" You say!
Yes, that one!
Well, I have a confession. I have recently lost points on my "Woman Card". It has been my own personal choice, and one that I have kept from other women in my circle, until now. At first it wasnt something I was proud of, but now, I must say I enjoy it! Its even something I look forward to daily!
What is it? You ask.
What could possiably cause you to lose points toward something we women hold so close and dear to our hearts and our family?
I'll tell you, at the risk of now losing 90% of my readers.
I let my husband cook for me and our family.
Yes, that's right, after working 8 hours a day plus taking an almost full load of classes toward his degree, I step aside and let David come home and then cook dinner for us.
Ok, to the 10% of you now left reading this blog I will explain what I mean.
After the c-section, and after the constant stream of well-wishers, and visitors to our home that brought food, David began to fix dinner. At first it was just a temporary deal. Before long, he found himself looking up recipe ideas, trying new meals, and becoming quite the culinary chef. Elle-Girl now when asked
"Who cooks in the kitchen?"
Proudly replies:
"Daddy, cook for Elle! Elle eat! Yumyumyum!"
We have enjoyed gourmet meals, delicate pastries and French desserts, I have been spoiled by his homemade snickerdoodle cookies served hot with coffee, I have eaten ratatouli, lemon lime chicken, grilled Salmon, and the best tomato sauce (his own recipe) over butterd noodles I have ever eaten from any seudo Itailian resturant. And just last night he made his first loaf of homemade bread all while compleating a grueling computer assignment for class! The white bread was free of dyes, and preservatives, it was free from all processed grains, and its crust crackles  so nicely, when lightly touched.
Yep, I sit by and let this man do this for us! He is making us healthier! We are all feeling better and happier now that 'Daddy' is in the kitchen.
Sure I suppose I too could have done just the same. He is after all using my  cookbooks, that I have collected over the years, and he is using the same spoons and pots and pans that I have cooked in since our first week as husband and wife, but for some reason, the offerings from these stainless steel appliances now just taste better.
So, do I continue letting him sweat and labor in the kitchen after a long day at work, or do I say step aside dear and let me try to come close to the wonderful meals you have prepared? Of course some of you would say
"You get back in the kitchen, and serve your man!"
Yes, I would except for one tiny thing. My "Man" enjoys doing this. It makes him happy, and its the stress relief he needs after his long day. And anything to make my "man" happy, you better beleive I'll do it.
Besides, if he ever feels too tired to cook one evening. No biggie, I'll just walk into the kitchen...open a drawer...pull out...a phone book...and order in for us!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love it! I totally understand...my guy likes to cook and is better at it than I! Though there are days where he's just exhausted from working his job and being a hubby and Daddy and doesn't necessarily have the urge to whip up something fabulous...and that's where my mediocrity comes into play! I love to do things for him, but it works the other way around as well. Count me in as one of the 10% of followers remaining!