August 20, 2010

Fruits of the Spirit: Day two

Joy
Literature: I read the story of Nehemiah traveling to Jerusalem to rebuild the city's wall. And how he and those that worked with him kept their God given Joy even under disagreeable outsiders who tried to discourage them.
I used my felt board for this activity. I created a felt wall out of grey felt then cut it a part to make the wall. I left a few stones free so that Elle-Girl could help rebuild the gate to the city of Jerusalem. Anything that provides a visual is a great learning tool for young children.
Songs:
This song came from the Teacher's resource book, its a lot of fun to sing. Its to the tune of "She'll be coming around the Mountain" You can add your own hand motions.
                                                                             I've Got the Joy
I've got joy that Jesus gave me in my heart
I've got joy that Jesus gave me in my heart
I've got joy that Jesus gave me when I asked him and he saved me
I've got joy that Jesus gave me in my heart
I've joy that I just cannot explain
I've got joy that I just cannot explain
I've got joy I can't explain but it always will remain
I've got joy that I just cannot explain
I've got joy and you can have it too
I've got joy and you can have it too
Just say Jesus I beleive and his joy you will recieve
I've got joy and you can have it too.

Object Lesson:
clear glass of water
food coloring
cooking oil





By using a glass filled with water I used a visual for Elle-Girl to show her how Joy works with in us. I explained Joy was a deep down feeling that we are given from God. It doesn't change when things around us change.



 Joy stays the same when things are tough. I then dropped food coloring drops into the water and let her stir it up. Like this food coloring joy colors the whole life of a child of God.

 


I then added the cooking oil. Give it a moment to collect on top of the water then I explained that happiness doesn't always stay on the inside. We are happy when good things happen and Happiness can be getting to watch a favorite show, or going to our favorite store to shop, or eating a yummy snack, but its not a deep down feeling like joy is and it stays on the surface of our lives just like this oil. We then talked about how its good to feel happy and its a very fun thing but its even better to have deep down joy from God.


























This was a short lesson for us today, the internet is full of other ideas that you can add to this type of lesson. Have a great weekend!

No comments: