8:10 am that is what time the syllabus said class would end. It was 8:23 when my Physical Science Professor dismissed class for the morning. Willa, my long time fellow Thespian and now College Freshmen Newbie like me, walked with me to the parking lot. As we vowed to never sign up again for another early morning class , we passed a young freshmen like ourselves sitting in his rusty red pick up truck, window rolled down, cigarette between his fingers, he was leaning intently toward the radio. Willa and I made eye contact with each other, and smugly laughed to ourselves.
What a geek! We must have thought.
Who sits in their truck to listen to the news! We implied
We have more important things to do, like get coffee, play pinball in the student lounge, or contemplate skipping our next class to enjoy the beautiful September day that was before us. We were so naive.
Quick hugs and a cheek to cheek "Muaah! Later Girl" was said as we went our separate ways in the parking lot.
At the time I was driving a 1985 Diesel BMW, sky blue, with dented in side fenders.
For those who don't know a car like that has glow plugs that have to warm up before you start the engine.
I slid onto the Leather seats,
turned the key in the ignition,
reached up and opened the sunroof,
turned the radio up to blast out to the local rock station on my way to Micky Dees for my early morning Breakfast Burrito.
"America is under attack."
What?
"I repeat, America is under attack."
What?
"A second plane has hit the World Trade Towers in New York City. Another is believed to be headed toward the Pentagon."
What's the Pentagon?
I don't remember the drive, but never the less, I arrived at the McDonald's Parking lot, trying to wrap my mind around what was coming across the static from the radio. It was on every channel. I tried to fathom how our new, and at the time very inept President would handle this? Is everyone under attack? Whose attacking us? Are they everywhere? Or are they just on planes? Is it him? Is it the person pulling in the parking spot beside me?
Not understanding what was going on, and not knowing if the rest of the world knew, I drift into the McDonald's. It didn't strike me as odd at the time that no one was in line.
"Good morning! Welcome to McDonald's! Can I take your order?" She said.
"Did you know we are under attack?"
"Whose under attack Ma'am?" She nervously replied.
I must have sounded like one of those bible thumping, End of times, Spiritualists.
With a far off small voice I choked out...."America."
She shrugged her shoulders and with a half grin said
"Can I take your order?"
"Breakfast Burrito, Orange Juice" I said like a memorized line from a script.
"Sure thing! Can I get you an Apple Pie?"
"No."
I think I remember her wishing me a good day, or something positive and uplifting. She obviously hadn't heard what I was saying.
I walked back out to my BMW, slid down in the seat, and then assumed the role as the "Geek". Window rolled down, leaning intently toward the radio.
"We are confirming again that the Pentagon has been hit, they are now evacuating the White House." I then became aware of another person in my presence.. He had heard my radio and walked up to my window. When they repeated the headline I turned and looked face to face with this stranger. We had no words to say to each other. I'm sure his blank, bewildered face mirrored my own, because he grabbed his head with both large hands and walked dizzily over to his car, shouting out loud
"OH. God! Lord! No.!"
Funny thing is, I don't remember much else about that day, where I went after McDonald's, why didn't I go by my mom's office? Why didn't I try to find a television.
Skip forward to that afternoon. A 100 year old Holocaust survivor was scheduled to speak on campus that day. No one thought she would show up. She did and she gave a speech to an overflowing auditorium. There wasn't a dry eye in the place.
The feelings were raw. The mind was turned upside down, and the weather outside was absolutely gorgeous!
September 11th, 2001.
6 months ago


2 comments:
I was in Kosovo. I had just gotten out of the shower when someone frantically told me what happened. At first I blew him off as something completely absurd. That's when I heard the sirens and less than a half an hour later we were on an established military post, doing a peace keeping mission in full military gear carrying our gas masks on our sides. Confusion and chaos travelled across the Atlantic Ocean and found its way to Eastern Europe. You pulled into McDonalds...I ran past our on post Burger King. Somethings even there weren't all that different. The weather outside was completely gorgeous.
Jeff
Kosovo. Wow. I can't even imagine
Post a Comment