December 2, 2008

Putting up the Christmas Tree

Last night was one of those magical, misty eyed memories that I hope as long as I live I won't ever forget.

While Elle-Girl was napping I packed up all of my Autumn decorations and brought out the Christmas Box. The Christmas Box (boxes) are filled with old ornaments, nativity scenes, and Christmas villages, stray pieces of tinsel stuck to the bottom of things, and hand sewn odds and ends that I carried with me from back home that remind me of Christmas. There is garland, and bright red Christmas Balls, books and c.d's, saved Christmas cards from dear friends, along with outdated picture ornaments that have that old ornament smell. Good stuff!

When Elle-Girl woke up we went through the box together setting out baubles and beads, candles and music. Last year her Great Aunt and Uncle got her a Cedar music box that's bells play Christmas music, while little ice skaters skate dreamily around a bandstand while the Christmas tree lights around the pond twinkle to the beat of the music. It casts a soft glow in a dim lit room when turned on and for over an hour last night Ell-Girl danced and twirled to the Christmas music while clinking around small wooden folksy ornaments she pulled out of the box. I hardly moved during her dance for fear that it would end should I get up to busy myself in the kitchen. So I sat and watched this small sugar plum fairy in her tiny diaper spin and swirl around and around the living room, just holding my breath.


When David arrived home we put up the tree and without prompting, Elle-Girl ran to the box pulled out a piece of ribbon and placed it on the tree. She was so proud of herself. Then came the time to turn on the lights. The room lit up with colorful Christmas lights and Elle-Girl shivered with excitement. She kept saying "Oooh See?" And a small smile of amazement shone on her face.

Then together while David took pictures we decorated the tree. She got to stay up waaaaay past her bedtime, and cried and cried when it was time to go to bed and leave the tree and her little music box. She even woke a few times in the middle of the night and made a run for the tree when I opened her bedroom door.


This Christmas season will surely be one to cherish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful Beth!

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I've awarded you the Marie Antoinette Award.
Check it out here: www.xanga.com/faithmom6
(yesterday's post)
hugs!