August 6, 2008

Day 2 of weaning and other adventures in sleeping.



I have decided to start weaning Elenore from nursing in hopes that it will help her sleep better through the night. At this point, she has very little if not weak self soothing skills and when she wakes up in the middle of the night, she tries to get back to sleep, but when she can't only Momma will do. And sometimes that's every 2hrs!


So yesterday around nap time we did our usual post nap routine but instead of laying down with her I sat on the foot of her little bed and encouraged her to lay down and would say 'Shhhh' if she started talking too loudly or singing to Elmo. She almost had drifted off when she started to cry. I had already been sitting there 30min. And sitting any longer would be throwing off the bedtime routine so I let her nurse and she went straight to sleep.

Last night she went to bed around 8:45pm.
Woke up at 12:15am. I nursed her back to sleep
She woke up at 5:30am, got herself back to sleep.
David woke her up at 7:45 this morning.

Nap time today:
We ate lunch, I told her it was time to lay down, she climbed in bed, I said 'lay down'. With some protesting she layed down, talked a little, kicked around a little, was asleep within 15min.
Do I think its going to be this easy?
Not yet. Sleep with this child has never been easy but I'll keep ya posted!

No comments: